Monday, October 31, 2011

Inventory Time

How very much I would like to think that I always get it right, that I'm some kind of together or something. HA.

For many years I used to participate in a traditional sweat lodge. It always worked to get my ego right-sized. Especially with our sweat leader. It never failed. Every time that I thought that I was doing well (I felt so sure - in my brain), he would get out the wing and beat on my forehead, asking that my thoughts be straightened out. I didn't have to say a word. He just recognized it.

One thing that I got from that was that it could be obvious to everyone else but me when I was off-center. Some part of me at least was apparently transparent. The more important thing that I deduced from that is that most of the time my ego/brain can go a-kilter when I least suspect it.

Since my sweat leader and his wing are not around anymore, and I haven't found anyone else with his uncanny abilities, the only way that I know to tell whats off-base with me is to honestly take stock of how in integrity my thoughts are with my actions, and my beliefs.  It's never comfortable. It always feels better after.

No comments:

Post a Comment